THE CONSISTORY OF MALAGA
The construction of the Town Hall of Malaga was begun in 1911 and completed in 1919. Two local architects, Fernando Guerrero Strachan participated in the project, some of their most important works being the neo-Gothic Church of el Sagrado Corazón ; Hotel Príncipe de Asturias, currently Miramar; and the Hotel Caleta Palace; as well as numerous villas and chalets in neomudéjar style in the east of Malaga in St Moritz or La Bouganvillea. Strachan became the mayor of the city and the construction of the town hall was done together with the architect Manuel Rivera Vera. The Town Hall was the first building on the Paseo del Parque. It was followed by the Post and Telegraphs house in 1923, and the Bank of Spain, completed in 1936. The best way to discover Malaga is with Fetajorentacar, car hire malaga airport.
The consistory of Malaga is neo gothic with an impressive entrance, it has three floors and on top a magnificent pediment. When entering the interior you arrive in a hall for the distribution of people in the building, with a double floor and a central staircase that gives access to the second floor of the building. The staircase is made of marble and is decorated with two lions on the sides. The space also faces the back windows of the stairs, glass windows detailing some of the highlights of the history of the city.
Right next to the Town Hall are the gardens of Pedro Ruiz Alonso. The gardens were built in 1945, much later than the town hall, and are called by the name of the first mayor of the Spanish dictatorship.
It´s a park with 6,500 square meters and it has gone through several restorations throughout the history. During the last one it was decided to remove the cypress trees. Due to their huge dimensions they were starting to cause damage on the soil and subsoil. All the citrus and bitter orange trees have been preserved and more than 70 different species of roses have been planted, which makes a spectacular image in spring. If you don´t have a car rental do not hesitate to visit us, we have the best service of rent a car malaga airport.
The garden of Pedro Ruiz Alonso is a Latin garden with Hispanic Arabic and French influences, arranged in geometric lines. The predominant species are the orange, tangerine trees and cypresses. In the center of the garden is the statue of the Biznaguero, by Jaime Fernandez Pimentel, representing the traditional craft in Malaga of sellers of the plant Bishop’s weed.
traditional craft in Malaga of sellers of the plant Bishop’s weed. There is another garden at the feet of the citadel that is often mistaken for the garden of Pedro Ruiz Alonso, the garden Dark door. It´s designed by the same architect who did the consistory, Fernando Guerrero-Strachan in 1937 and is located on the southern slope of Mount Gibralfaro, behind the Town Hall and Gardens of Pedro Luis Alonso.
The aim of the garden was to frame the walls of Alcazaba, in the place where there was a gate called Puerta Oscura (Dark Door), from which it got its name. The visit to the gardens is fantastic and can be accessed by renting a car from our office Car hire mijas .
The gardens are arranged in a succession of terraces and in them are cypresses, Canary Island palm trees, Aleppo pines, bougainvillea and jacarandas, among other species. The name Dark Door apparently taken due to a dark door leading to the citadel above. The garden is arranged on steep land that was redone with terracing or parterres to remove the slope.